SzukajKontaktMenu

20 years ago it was nearly 100 percent. Last year it was 55 percent, and now it is even less. This year, for the first time in the history Ankara’s dependence on supplies of Russian gas has dropped below 50 percent.

Adam Balcer
{[if_foto_desc]}
Foto:
{[/if_foto_desc]}
Readtime 2 minuty

MANIPULATION

Currently, natural gas from Russia to Turkey is transported by two pipelines: Russian Federation - Turkey Natural Gas Main Transmission Line and Russia - Samsun - Ankara Natural Gas Transmission Line, known as Blue Stream. The first of the gas pipelines crosses the Turkish-Bulgarian and has its end in Ankara. It has a length of 845 km. The pipeline was completed in 1988. Blue Stream gas pipeline was opened in 2003. It provides Turkey with gas from Russia across the Black Sea. Its total length is 1,213 kilometers.

20 years ago i.e. in 1996, according to "Turkey Oil, Gas Sector Business and Investment Opportunities Yearbook", the total imported gas from Russia to Turkey amounted to 5.5 billion standard cubic metres and which translated into 70% of total raw material import. The remaining 30% was imported from Algeria, and it was of 2.4 billion standard cubic metres of gas. 

The following table shows the import of natural gas to Turkey from 2005 to 2015 (in millions of cubic metres).

 Russia             Iran      Azerbaijan
      Algeria         Nigeria

       Other

        Total
2005

17.524

4.248

                     0

3.786

1.013

0

26.571

2006

19.316

5.594

0

4.132

1.100

79

30.221

2007

22.762

6.054

1.258

4.205

1.396

167

35.842

2008

23.159

4.113

4.580

4.148

1.017

333

37.350

2009

19.473

5.252

4.960

4.487

903

781

35.856

2010

17.576

7.765

4.521

3.906

1.189

3.079

38.036

2011

25.406

8.190

3.806

4.156

1.248

1.069

43.874

2012

26.491

8.215

3.354

4.076

1.322

2.464

45.922

2013

26.212

8.730

4.245

3.917

1.274

892

45.269

2014

26.975

8.932

6.074

4.179

1.414

1.689

49.262

2015

26.783

7.826

6.169

3.916

1.240

2.493

48.427

In 2015 the amount of imported gas from Russia amounted to 55.3%.

The data published by the Energy Market Regulatory Authority for individual months of 2016 show, that gas import from Russia to Turkey respectively amounted to:

  • 51.65% - in January
  • 45.63% - in February
  • 46.10% - in March
  • 53.16% - in April
  • 58.98% - in May
  • 54.94% - in Jun

of total raw material import. Calculating an average value for the period from January to February 2016, the result is 51.74%. Data for July and August have not been published yet. We consider the statement as manipulation as it includes partially true information, however, it confuses a recipient with regard to Turkey’s dependency on Russian gas twenty years ago.

Tags:
manipulation

Recommend: